Thursday 19 April 2012

An old beaver

I was in the cafe by about 10am this morning writing and formatting music for the Fleet Singers. I’m getting tantalisingly close to finishing the commission now and I have to say, I can’t wait. It’s been a frighteningly large amount of work. I’ve actually booked myself in for a massage tomorrow afternoon to celebrate (I hope) finishing the piece. I’m going to work like a manic in the morning to make sure this happens.

I went to the screening of Matt’s latest film at The Hospital this evening. It’s one of those swanky private members clubs where all the rooms are themed and preposterously decorated. The film, which is called Small Apartments, was great. Very art-house, very thought-provoking, very moving in places, and Matt is extraordinary in the lead. Apparently there was some kind of issue with the sync on the projector, which I’m almost ashamed to admit I didn’t notice.

It was fabulous to see a load of the old gang there, obviously Matt, but also Alex and Nick and Jenny and Jo and Philip, who, slightly worryingly, was complaining about losing rather a lot of weight. He says he’s had lots of tests, all of which have come back negative. Weirdly enough, I thought he looked really well.

We stopped for chips afterwards at the Rock and Sole Place on Endell Street, which does the very best chips in London. They're great big fat things; fatter than chips you’ll see anywhere else in the world, and strangely enough, they're even vegan friendly. There’s a fact for you!

350 years ago, Pepys stood outside a draper’s shop in Aldgate to watch John Barkstead, John Okey and Miles Corbet being carted off to the Tyburn tree, where they were due to be hanged, drawn and quartered. The three men were official regicides of Charles I, and, according to Pepys, looked rather cheerful as they passed by. He went on to write that he heard they’d continued defending what they’d done to the King to the very last, which he thought strange for some reason.
In the evening Sir William Batten presented Pepys with a hat made of beaver fur, which Pepys was very pleased with. Comically, he chose to remember this particular story with the following words:
In the evening, did get a beaver, an old one, but a very good one.
The old beavers are always the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.