Thursday 13 October 2011

Her voice was husky and it sounded quite exciting

I've just been watching Nathan in his Brother Act cabaret at The Pheasantry. It was remarkable. I was almost pathetically proud. They were slick, hysterically funny, and they sang beautifully. The act takes cabaret to a very different level and  I predict great, great things for them.

I have a feeling that things might be on the turn. I got a higher than normal PRS cheque through the post today. I'm not quite sure who's been performing my work, but I'm eternally grateful to them. Right now, every single penny counts! 

I went to the doctor today, spurred on by Philippa, who said these crazy spasm fits I'm having every time I cough sound like croup. I'd never heard of the condition, but a bit of research on wikipedia revealed it's something that babies get. Hmm. 

The doctor put my mind at ease. It's not croup, but it does have a name. Don't ask me what. Something Latin. She believes the cough might hang around for another few weeks, and attributes the spasms to my being ridiculously stressed. The cough fuels the stress. The stress fuels the cough and I've created my very own vicious circle! Hurrah for me! 

The advice is to try  to stay calm whenever the spasms happen, safe in the knowledge that normal breathing will recommence soon enough. She recommended long walks on the Heath and plenty of exercise. 

At the moment I'm stuck in a tunnel on the Northern Line because someone is "trespassing on the tracks." It's not quite how I imagined my evening ending, but everyone in the carriage is really cool. We're having a lot of fun! 

And what of Pepys? Well, 350 years ago, he spent the day chilling out in his house, still recovering from his embarrassing bruise. He treats us to a very detailed account of what he was wearing, which is charming enough to repeat in full;

"this day left off half skirts and put on a wastecoate, and my false taby wastecoate with gold lace." 

I bet he looked a picture. Like a beautiful trannie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.