Wednesday 7 March 2012

Hermits

Today was all about the EBOR VOX composition, and I’ve written something already which feels very stirring and catchy. It’s slightly different to how I initially thought it might sound, but the words steered me in a particular direction. The sheer madness of 800 people singing in harmony will probably limit the speed that we can take the piece at, but what I’ve written needs to motor along, so I shall revisit it tomorrow with this in mind. If it still seems to work, it’ll be a real bonus, because the sooner I can get going with the arduous process of orchestrating, the better.

I’ve been longing to speak to someone all day. That sounds rather pathetic doesn’t it? It’s also a lie. I’m lonely, because Nathan is working, but when you ensconce yourself in a musical world for 12 hours, it can sometimes become quite difficult to speak when you finally see someone. On a few occasions, I’ve spent the day writing and then gone to a party or a social event. I usually just stand in the corner feeling invisible and slightly irritable. I think if I weren’t also a film-maker, I might have become a hermit by now.

Is it just me, or has Anne Robinson started looking like Velma from Scooby Doo? It’s amazing what a thick-rimmed pair of spectacles can do to a girl’s bonnie visage.

Well, there’s plainly nothing else to say. The requiem emails continue to pile in. I’m going to need to be supremely organised to get everything going smoothly. I’m also increasingly aware that I need to block out some time this year for a proper holiday, probably after the madness of The Space project. New York in October sounds like it might be fun.

I’ve just taken a pause in this blog to have a lovely chat with Fiona in the States. It’s always so lovely to touch base with her and it sounds like Texan life is suiting her well. When it’s 21 degrees every day, what is there to complain about? Tornadoes, I guess.

Friday 7th March, 1662, and Pepys went to the chapel at Whitehall Palace to hear and watch Robert Creeton, “the great Scotchman” preaching before the Duke and Duchess of York. He preached upon the subject “rule yourself in dust”, which plainly isn’t a subject at all, but he apparently made “a most learned sermon” which was both witty and informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.