Thursday 3 August 2017

Nadiya Hussain

I didn't sleep particularly well last night. Nathan was out late and I just couldn't settle. I woke up at 8.30am and simply couldn't get myself to lie-in any longer. As a result I've been in something of a haze all day.

I've been orchestrating Em all day, continuing the process of adding string parts to the existing arrangements. It's tiring work. As I mentioned in yesterday's blog, I've told myself I can't write any more than twelve minutes total of string music across the entire album so that everything can be recorded in a single session. It's actually a really interesting process because it makes you question where you REALLY need to place the strings for maximum impact. It's also making me question the need for strings at all in the show. Some of the songs I've written have an inherent emptiness which I rather like. I don't want to fill all that glorious space with over-the-top luscious string goodness!

I've started watching Nadiya Hussain's British Food Adventure on iPlayer. For those who are trying to place the name, Nadiya is the hugely charming Bengali lass who won the sixth season of the Great British Bake Off. She is absolutely brilliant in front of the camera. Natural. Likeable. Knowledgeable. Luminous. Funny. Candid. I'm a real fan. I think she's the perfect role model for young Muslim women. 

I went for a beautiful walk across the Heath this evening. There was an impromptu night time picnic on a bench near the tree with the hole in it whilst damsel flies and bats fluttered about in the brown and midnight blue sky. The wind was up and the clouds were moving at high speed. I'm told the jet stream is sitting right on top of us at the moment and causing this highly changeable weather. August always used to be such a dependable month weather wise...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.