Saturday 13 November 2010

I'm currently sitting on Julie's sofa watching Strictly Come Dancing. I love coming here and eating cake and nattering.

I feel like I've been all over London today. I spent the afternoon with brother Ted in Canary Wharf going through the music to Oranges and Lemons. He's going to join the choir for that particular piece, which I'm very excited about. 

One particular passage stands out in Pepys' diary entry for this date 350 years ago, which I like so much, I'm going to quote it in full;

"So home to dinner, where I found my wife making of pies and tarts to try, her oven with, which she has never yet done, but not knowing the nature of it, did heat it too hot, and so a little overbake her things, but knows how to do better another time."

Elizabeth Pepys is not the only person who doesn't know how to use her oven.  Our oven is temperamental at the best of times and never seems to want to cook food properly. I burnt a pie in there only yesterday!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.