Saturday 2 February 2013

Socks and rocks

Nathan and I went with Matt to Kingston this evening, to see the National Youth Music Theatre's performance of Howard Goodall's "Dreaming", which is a musical adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream, which Pepys once described as "a most insipid, ridiculous play." 

The music was utterly charming, the performances universally brilliant and I left with a strong sense of the importance of the NYMT. I also got a chance to meet Howard Goodall before the show, which was quite a thrill. We talked about requiems and he seemed genuinely fascinated by the concept of the London Requiem. I told him I was looking forward to hearing his and explained that I'd tried to avoid listening to other requiems whilst writing mine. 

We slept until noon today. I'm not quite sure how that happened. I think the cold, and my refusal to acknowledge it, has been taking its toll.  

By the time we left Highgate for South West London I'd only managed to do an hour's composing. I don't really know where the rest of the afternoon went, aside from the half hour we spent taking photos of Nathan's latest sock designs whilst standing on a rock on the corner of Muswell Hill Road. 

...It's a curious, eccentric life I lead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.