Sunday 13 March 2016

The best chart run down ever

I'm slowly coming down to earth again, but the stress levels aren't dropping as quickly as perhaps they ought. Nathan tells me I need to simply stop. He says he looks over at me and often finds my brow furrowed, but I worry that stopping suddenly will be like going into cold turkey. I'll just sit there, in a panic, creating lists of things I need to do! I'll keep trying.

Today I SORT of relaxed. We had a lie-in and then, after waking up, I decided to clean the living room top to bottom. I put all my photo albums in date order and labelled them on the outside so that they're easier to identify when people ask to see them. It's easier to relax in a house which doesn't look a terrible mess.

I scrubbed and tidied the bookshelves, polished all the surfaces, cleaned the windows and even treated the sofas with a special leather conditioning spray. (Yeah, I know - they properly saw me coming in the shop; the sofas look and feel exactly the same as they looked and felt before!)

I've felt pretty rough all day but forced myself to go for a run after dark. I headed down the A1, and round the block to Muswell Hill and back. It was a fairly swift jog. No more than twenty minutes. My lower back started seizing up and it was too painful to continue.

Nathan went out on his own tonight to see a film presentation at the Drayton Arms theatre pub, which happens to be where Alex, from the original cast of Brass, works as a barman whilst he trains at Arts Ed.

It was good for me to have a night doing nothing. I watched about ten episodes of the Big Bang Theory, which seems to be all that E4 broadcasts at the moment.

I also spent some time flicking through a brilliant book which lists every top forty chart in UK pop music since the charts began. I set out to see if I could find the best top ten of all time, having watched a 1981 episode of Top of the Pops with Meriel which had a chart run-down of complete non songs (nongs.)

I believe the chart I was searching for happened in March 1978. It would surely be difficult to find a more classic set of songs in a single top ten run down. I was so excited by the list that I feel obliged to quote it in full!

Week ending March 18th, 1978:

1. Wuthering Heights (Kate Bush)
2. Denis (Denee) (Blondie)
3. Take A Chance on Me (Abba)
4. Come Back My Love (Darts)
5. Wishing On a Star (Rose Royce)
6. Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty)
7. I Can't Stand The Rain (Eruption ft Precious Wilson)
8. Stayin' Alive (Bee-Gees)
9. Mr Blue Sky (ELO)
10. Matchstick Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs (Brian and Michael)

And who said that the 70s were the decade that taste forgot?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.