Saturday 4 August 2012

Long jump

Is it just me, or is some of the cycling in the Olympics utterly baffling? For starters the events all have weird names, like The Omnium and The Scratch Race, but some of the rules themselves are really strange. They need to be desribed in detail by experts because the presenters haven't got a clue what's going on, and however hard you concentrate, it's impossible to follow them. I think they get made up for a laugh...

I've done nothing but sit on the sofa watching the Olympics today – and I’ve had a very lovely time, thank you very much. Sometimes, as I watch the athletes running around the track, I wonder how far behind them I would be if I ran next to them. Just how fast are those people running? I'm watching the long jump at the moment and wondering if I would now be able to do the event to a world class standard having seen the way the jumpers sort of run through the air after taking off. I think my best ever long jump at school was about 2 meters - surely, having seen how it's done, and even with my little legs, 8 meters would be well within my grasp? I had to give up sport in my fourth year at school to do music. My mate Tammy had to stop doing the long jump because her boobs were too big. She used to hold them as she ran down the track.
Is it just me, or are these Olympics really moving? Or am I simply in a daze of requiem sadness?
I’ve plainly got nothing else of any interest to say...

Pepys spent the day 350 years ago in the Rochester area examining various ships, forts and naval stores. The decision was made to start the journey back to London after dark, but a series of incompetent boatswains and some seriously inclement weather, meant they made slow, and in many cases terrifying progress. They alighted at Gravesend to catch their breaths and have a quick bite to eat whilst being entertained by a “drolling, drunken coachman,” before heading back to their boat,
It being very dark, and the wind rising, and our waterman unacquainted with this part of the river... I in such fear that I could not sleep till we came to Erith, and there it begun to be calm, and the stars to shine, and so I began to take heart again... and so made shift to slumber a little. Above Woolwich we lost our way, and went back to Blackwall,and up and down, being guided by nothing but the barking of a dog, which we had observed in passing by Blackwall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.