Friday 4 April 2014

Brass script

I've been ensconced within the world of Brass today, effectively doing a twelve hour day on the script so that it could go off to the lovely Jeremy to be printed in time for the first wave of rehearsals which start on Monday.

At seven o'clock this evening, I started the manic and eccentric process of reading the entire script out loud to myself; accents, inflections, emotions and all. Sometimes I even cry when the characters cry! It's quite a cathartic process. When Nathan got home from work, I had to hide in the kitchen, because I felt so ludicrous chuntering and weeping away to myself!

Anyway, I feel that the script is now in very good shape, which is fabulous, but makes me even more conscious that the music itself feels a little in disarray! I reckon I've still got about a quarter of the music to write. During rehearsals I'm going to be sitting in a little room writing like a mad man by candlelight! It feels like there's a phenomenally high mountain still to climb!

This afternoon I tubed it down to London Bridge for a meeting at Southwark Cathedral which is where my next composition, Invisible Voices, is due to be performed. We're hoping to do a big gala performance with the London Gay Men's Chorus for the Kaleidoscope Trust, which could be really very exciting.

Quite when I'm actually going to have an opportunity to write the piece I'm not sure, but I guess that's what May is for!

The messages, emails, letters, tweets and cards about our wedding continue to arrive, but it's only now we're actually starting to get around to replying. We haven't even had the time to look through the photos! It's been utterly insane.

I've been deeply moved by some of the things I've read in the last few days; stories of people coming out to their parents, mothers writing to their sons to tell them how proud they feel, a man in Lancashire painting his door pink, inspired by our show. It seems the wedding has genuinely generated a wave of love, not just towards us, but towards and within the gay community at large. I don't think that's just my perception, and as a result, I genuinely couldn't feel prouder.

I've read news reports about it from the US, Australia and France. Big wigs at the BBC and C4 are describing it as "important" and "the most unique piece of television they've ever seen." People email and tweet to say they're watching it repeatedly, and crying all the time.

The house is, of course, a hopeless mess with unopened cards and presents on tables and surfaces everywhere. At some point we'll get to stop and relax, but not just yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.