Wednesday 22 October 2014

Grayson Perry

I forgot to mention yesterday that whilst in the ramshackle cafe on Upper Street, we were visited by a rather charming little robin, who hopped his way inquisitively around the table next to us, seemingly unconcerned about the two enormous human brings drinking fancy tea in close proximity. I read somewhere that there's something in the character of robins which make them very interested in, and surprisingly unflustered, by human activity. This is why they're often seen sitting on spades on Christmas cards and things. I'm not a great fan of birds, but if I were to chose a favourite bird, I'd almost certainly chose the robin. They have a beautiful song, and they're patriotic enough to stay in the UK all year round. I'm not a big fan of these fly-by-night migrating fellows. The greatest rewards come from choosing a horse and backing it through thick and thin! The ability to be loyal sorts all the mice from the men!

I worked all day on the Fleet singers composition, developing a little sequence of uncharacteristically funky music. There's a light jazzy quality threading its way through the entire piece which I'm rather enjoying.

This evening I ventured into town to attend the Channel 4 launch of Grayson Perry's new documentary series, Who Are You? It promises to be a very fine series of programmes, all of which focus on identity. Perry has created fourteen pieces of art to accompany the shows, which include silk prints, exquisite vases and one of his trade mark giant tapestries. I love his work, I love the way it flows organically and takes its inspiration from what many other artists would consider inane. Most of all, however, I love the way that he talks about his work. He is very much a man of the people. His art has the common touch, because he's full of empathy and humility. If you love and make it your business to understand people, then your work will have the common touch. I genuinely believe that.

The event was full of famous faces, many of whom were wearing clothes which which were works of art in themselves. Janet Street Porter was there. I was introduced and shook her by the incredibly limp hand, forgetting to remind her that I'd met her once before on the top of Arthur's Seat in Edinburgh. Nathan later told me I shouldn't have shaken her hand. She apparently hates being touched!

Uncle Archie and I then hot-footed it into Soho to a second party, this one at Evolutions, the edit suite, which was strictly for nominees at this year's Grierson Awards, which is a week on Monday, I believe. The Griersons are the Oscars of the documentary world and are highly regarded within the industry. Our
Gay Wedding has been nominated for Best Entertaining Documentary, which is subtly different from Most Entertaining Documentary, which is what I initially thought the category was called.

The party was hugely noisy. We could hear people literally shrieking at one another as we walked up the stairs and upon entering the room were blasted by a continuous roar of sound. It's moments like this when I tend to freak out. My ears and voice are very much my career, and trashing them both for the sake of fun is not my idea of fun! We found a quieter corner, put the world to rights and then beat a hasty retreat to Highgate to watch Grayson Perry on telly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.