Thursday 13 October 2016

Classic understatement

I switched on the news today to see the wonderful Nicola Sturgeon making a hugely passionate anti-Brexit speech. She vows to lead a cross-party alliance to thwart any attempts Theresa May might make to push us into what they're calling a "hard" withdrawal from Europe, and she's dangling the threat of Scottish independence in May's face, which, let's face it, is the ultimate trump card! In the absence of any effective opposition emerging from the bedraggled Labour Party, I thank God that Sturgeon exists. She makes me feel like there's someone out there fighting for common sense over lunacy; someone who values people over politics. If the Scots are forced to leave the union as a result of Tory stubbornness, then I shall be utterly proud to call them my neighbours and do nothing but wish them the very best for their future within Europe. I may even move there...

Understatement of the week belongs to the anonymous person who has commented on my blog post about the shooting at my school in 1989 where the deputy head was shot and very nearly killed. You can read my full account of the shooting by going to:

http://pepysmotet.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/shooting.html?m=1

What's quite interesting is the number of people who have left comments over the years, attaching their own memories. They make very interesting reading, largely because the accounts vary so completely, thereby entirely throw into question the ability to give fair trials to those who are accused of committing historic crimes.

Anyway, the classic English understatement which was posted on that blog post today merely says:

"I was there, he shot at me and my freinds as we were exiting the sports block/dance building, near the main assembly building. Wasn't a massive deal, I don't think he even wanted to really hurt anyone. Everyone seems to make a massive deal out of this, it was nothing really. I was there, he shot at me and my freinds as we were exiting the sports block/dance building, near the main assembly building. Wasn't a massive deal, I don't think he even wanted to really hurt anyone. Everyone seems to make a massive deal out of this, it was nothing really."

Quite how anyone can claim that a man coming into a school with a rifle which he used repeatedly to shoot at people whilst screaming, "I'm going to kill you, Mr Leaver" was "nothing really" is considerably beyond me. Try telling the deputy head teacher, who was traumatised for life, and off work for a year as a result of his injuries that what happened was "nothing really" and you might (justifiably) receive a little more than a Paddington Bear hard stare!

I spent this afternoon seemingly doing nothing but walk about in North London. I had a meeting in Swiss Cottage, so walked there from Chalk Farm tube and then walked from the meeting to my gym in Gospel Oak. I probably walked a good three or four miles, and very much enjoyed the experience. The sky was powder blue. A watery Autumnal sun was shining down.

The mad man was at the gym again today, this time doing bird impressions in the changing room, which was hilarious. He doesn't seem to do anything with irony or humour.

I came home and continued to work on a song, which Nathan wrote lyrics for when he came home. I cooked pasta. I know my place!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.