Sunday 14 October 2012

Felix Baumgartner


Fiona, Nathan and I have just watched Felix Baumgartner throwing himself out of a tiny balloon capsule drifting above the earth at 128,000 feet. It was, without question, one of the most uncomfortable 20 minutes of my life. We’d been told almost anything could have happened from his blood boiling on the way down to his neck breaking as he tumbled out of the balloon. Fortunately he landed on his feet, looking as though the countless records he'd just broken were all in a day's work. What a man!

We went for a roast dinner in Highgate village this afternoon before taking a little spin around Waterlow Park. We’ve come back home for tea, cake and telly. It’s difficult to imagine how a day could have been any less productive. I did try to do some writing this morning, but I’m still trying to shake off some kind of post-Requiem malaise. That's what Sundays are for, right?

I genuinely wish I could think of something more interesting to say today, but Downton Abbey is about to start and I’d like to offer it my unwavering attention!

350 years ago, Pepys spent the day in court, discussing some of the repercussions of his Uncle’s will, who’d basically been dead forever. Pepys must have started to wonder why he was bothering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.